can we progress with out english?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:
 

A.Russell

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
A.Russell said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.

Psst. Companies interested in gaining what Japan has to offer made it a point and are still making it a point to learn Japanese. :wink:

English as a tool for International communication, in Japan? Hmm. Japan does more business with China, Taiwan and other Asian countries, not to mention Eurpean countries that don't speak English as their first language than it does with English speaking countries. Translators make big bucks in Asian companies. 8)

Japanese goverment employees have to take an English exam in order to get hired, and yet, aside from those who study English on the side as a hobby, the majority of government employees are unable to converse in English because the resources ($) and opportunity are not available to them. :oops:

If a company (i.e. in Britian) wants to do business with a company in Japan), they make it a point of hiring employees who can converse in Japanese. That's just good business sense.

All the best,
 

A.Russell

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Thailand
Casiopea said:
A.Russell said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.

Psst. Companies interested in gaining what Japan has to offer made it a point and are still making it a point to learn Japanese. :wink:

English as a tool for International communication, in Japan? Hmm. Japan does more business with China, Taiwan and other Asian countries, not to mention Eurpean countries that don't speak English as their first language than it does with English speaking countries. Translators make big bucks in Asian companies. 8)

Japanese goverment employees have to take an English exam in order to get hired, and yet, aside from those who study English on the side as a hobby, the majority of government employees are unable to converse in English because the resources ($) and opportunity are not available to them. :oops:

If a company (i.e. in Britian) wants to do business with a company in Japan), they make it a point of hiring employees who can converse in Japanese. That's just good business sense.

All the best,

True, they do often use English as a medium with other Asian countries, though. You could also add their English education system to their inability to speak English. Certainly, most Japanese can get by very comfortably never speaking a word of English.

And I see your point about the French ;)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Casiopea said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:

Hmmm. I don't know if those are great examples. <grins, ducks, and runs> :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A.Russell said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

That is a very general question. It is certainly advantageous to have members of the population who are fluent in English and another language for faciliting trade and international relations, but I do not think that it is neccessary for everyone to speak English.

Take a look at Japan. English levels are very low, however they still became an industrialised country.

So I would suggest that it is up to individuals to ask themselves that question.

English among the general population is certainly not a requirement. It is the international language of aviation, banking, and a few other industries, however. English is a very popular second language in Europe and that trend is spreading to Asia.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:

Jacques Chirac was famously, and brilliantly, rude to Margaret Thatcher once, so he's got the English to do that. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
Casiopea said:
basir khan said:
can we progress with out english

Yes! The French have been doing it for centuries--in North America and Europe combined. :wink:

Jacques Chirac was famously, and brilliantly, rude to Margaret Thatcher once, so he's got the English to do that. ;-)

Rudeness is one of his better points. :roll:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top