Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We had a chat room on another forum and it was hardly ever used. However, the main problem with chat rooms is security; unlike the forum, we don't know what's going on, but are still responsible. Personally, I'm not greatly in favour of the idea. ;-)

Alc112

Member Type
Student or Learner
And the Chat should and must be private, You can use PM or ask the e-mails of the members.

tuangpi

Alc112 said:
And the Chat should and must be private, You can use PM or ask the e-mails of the members.

I wanted to mean a public chat room where you can chat all the times. ;-)

tuangpi

tdol said:
We had a chat room on another forum and it was hardly ever used. However, the main problem with chat rooms is security; unlike the forum, we don't know what's going on, but are still responsible. Personally, I'm not greatly in favour of the idea. ;-)

If this is the case, there is no need to create one. It's not necessary to create one, too.

I was just curious about the idea. ;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can see the good points, but there complications- who's going to moderate it? Legally, sites are responsible for what happens in such places. It's hard work to keep on top of this forum. If there are enough people interested, it would be possible, but it would require a lot of monitoring. MSN got rid of them because of this very issue. Educational chatrooms are targeted by unsavoury people as they have large numbers of young people in them, which is the problem.

Miss Qatar

I think chat rooms is a baddd idea because then the forums wont be used a lot. People like it fast.

Also, the site here is teaching English and in chat rooms they'll be a lot of mistakes in spelling and grammar :shock:

Ask me about it!

I tried an educational English chat rooms before. And they suck :-?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks- I've never bothered using them, so I was glad to hear that. ;-)

Miss Qatar

Because you'r English is fine :cool:

Poor students like me will try anything, anything! :cry:

So, we have excuses for using them.

Hello, let me tell my point of view... ok, I know that lot of people like chatting for improving or practicing English, so maybe it could be a place titled "Instant Messagery" and all people who would like to chat could post telling others about it, so what do you think about? :up:

Erny

As I said in another thread located around this forum, it would be a better idea to use those programmes. Indeed they allow us to use microphone. Such a Skype for example which is the best programme of this kinds among the many I have found find on the net so far.

Instead of driving into chat rooms in which one can be lost amongst the many who are online and chat with one to another here and there, I would suggest you to set up onto our computers those programmes like Skype and find people who share our same interests and hobbies and start to chat with them, by using a microphone. It's much simplier and it turns us aside from being caught in a mess.

This is my point of view.

Ciao
;-)

Last edited:

maeve o'cuinn

Member Type
English Teacher
I have a language forum (not only English) and I included a chat room where not only you can use microphone but also your webcam and see people in real time while chatting with them.
If someone is interested in knowing how this works you can contact me via pm. I don't think it's a good idea to insert here any link to that program.
Regards.

isko_sbma

Member Type
Student or Learner
i've been looking for somebody to talk to in order for me to enhance my conversational skill and other things related to English. however, it's difficult to find somebody who have the same purpose as mine. so i think it would be really great if we have our chat room designed for our main purpose. i just don't how would it be difficult to set up an English Chat room.

have a nice day.

franz

M

matilda

i made some new friends of this site and i found them by sending them PM and then asking them for their id or email address.
you can do the same

Fame

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
yea I agree that there isn't a need for chat rooms. the question is why we need chat rooms? To ask and answer questions? But thats what we do in our forum isn't it? I think another reason ppl want chat rooms is that they can get reply at once. But to be honest i think if you post a question on this site, it will be answered very quickly. Well done!!

Mad-ox

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
In my opinion a chat room would be very useful in order to improve our English language. When we chat we must be very spontaneous which developes not only our language skills but also our thinking way. Have a nice day!

Erny

In my opinion a chat room would be very useful in order to improve our English language. When we chat we must be very spontaneous which developes not only our language skills but also our thinking way. Have a nice day!

I completely agree with what you have just said:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.