Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I keep wondering whether I am or not on the appropriate forum to ask it, am I?

Here it goes, it would be nice for me to know my real level in English; on my understanding, writing, speaking. Well, where may I get a test of this kind? That is to say, an appropriate test which would be approved all over the place and would give me my own right level. That being said, I would be grateful that it be free of charge.

It is up to you to lead me towards it. :-D;-) Any help is welcome!

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As far as I know there is no one internationally recognized test that would be free of charge - you have lots of exams, like Cambridge examinations or TOEFL, but they are not free and you have to take them at recognized examination centre. Having said that, there are many free tests available online that will check you level, the only drawback is that they seldom include speaking or writing part. They check grammar and vocabulary, though. If there are any English language schools in your area, they might offer such tests - tell them that you are interested in their courses and they will give you so called placement test and feedback. That's how it works in Poland, at least. Alternatively, you could try to find somebody working as a teacher in language school and ask them to check your level troughly. In Poland it's a price of an hourly, two-hour lesson. You can trust feedback you will get because there are international standarts for language assesment, specified in Common European Framework. Hope this helps:)

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Which international test would you advise? Asking it due to there are tests more based on school skills, others more on profesional skills..

magdalena

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It depends on what you need, try TOEFL if you want to study at British or American university, IELTS if you need a certificate for your job. First, I'd google language schools and check if there are any online tests, there must be something!

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It depends on what you need, try TOEFL if you want to study at British or American university, IELTS if you need a certificate for your job. First, I'd google language schools and check if there are any online tests, there must be something!

Anyway when we begin our new year at university, we have a new test. I have got to hold on. :-|

Status
Not open for further replies.