check-out line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionutzavram

Member Type
Student or Learner
can u please tell me what means check out line in tis context:

"If you're in a check out line, it's an impulse item like gum. It can be passive. It can be ac-tive. It can be proactive. It can be automatic."

THx

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher

riverkid

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
can u please tell me what means check out line in tis context:

"If you're in a check out line, it's an impulse item like gum. It can be passive. It can be ac-tive. It can be proactive. It can be automatic."

THx

It's the place where you line up to pay for your purchases at the check out counter/till.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a follow-up to Riverkid's post...in North America, it is very common for supermarkets and other stores to have shelves filled with inexpensive "impulse buy" items such as candy bars, chewing gums, batteries, tabloid magazines, etc. Things that the shopper didn't pick up while shopping, but while waiting in line decides that he or she suddenly wants. Retailers also count on young children to be enticed by the vast array of candy and gum in the check-out line and the parents that will buy them something to keep them quiet and prevent a tantrum. ;-)

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
Just a follow-up to Riverkid's post...in North America, it is very common for supermarkets and other stores to have shelves filled with inexpensive "impulse buy" items such as candy bars, chewing gums, batteries, tabloid magazines, etc. Things that the shopper didn't pick up while shopping, but while waiting in line decides that he or she suddenly wants. Retailers also count on young children to be enticed by the vast array of candy and gum in the check-out line and the parents that will buy them something to keep them quiet and prevent a tantrum. ;-)

Hi,
I think this idea is very common worldwide nowadays. I am used to noticing how diverse are the items on these shelves next to the checkout line. Yes, dealers really know how not to miss a good opportunity to sell you a few more things...
JC

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few of the other words in the original post:

active => 'next time I'm at the shops I must get some X'
passive => 'well maybe some of those are worth getting, now I see them'
proactive* => 'I really must stop on my way to the party and pick up a bottle'
automatic => 'whenever I'm at Superdrug I buy some tissues'

b

PS * Some teachers frown on this word, and not all dictionaries include it. In an exam it's probably safest to avoid it; but, although it may not be acceptable in all formal contexts it's a word worth having in your vocabulary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.