Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

Clive wished he had listened to his father who told him not to ride a bicycle on the icy street. Now he was lying with a broken rib and watched with envy as other children played outside.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Clive wished he had listened to his father, who had told him not to ride a bicycle on the icy street. Now he was lying with a broken rib, watching with envy as other children were playing outside.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Piscean,
Thank you for your corrections.
I wouldn't call the above mistake a slip. It is rather my lack of proper knowledge of the English grammar. I told you before on a few occasions that I am not sure if I should use a comma or not whenever I see a relative clause. This is my weak point, which I hope one day would not be any more. But in my case, it takes a time before I get a routine and correctly apply the rules in my writing.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Similarly, if the OP has more than one weak point, should 'the' be used instead of 'my' below with the comma omitted?

This is my weak point, which I hope one day would not be any more.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With more and more same-sex couples having/fostering/adopting children, such qualifications and explanations might become more common.

John: My dad told me wash the car today.
Tim: Which one?
John: What? We've only got one car.
Tim: Not "Which car?" I meant "Which dad?"
John: Ohhhh! Dave - the dad who always makes me do chores. Barry's my nice dad - he never makes me wash the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.