Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm writing a technical paper recently and started to have issues trying to cram long words into small spaces, especially on technical drawings full of complex data curves. For example, 'level acceleration' occupies too much space and I want to collapse these into something like 'lvl. acc.' but I'm not sure how this sort of collapsing is done properly. lvl. for level may be common, but what about 'acceleration'?

Any suggestion as to a universally recognized source of such shorthands, preferably on the Internet, or how native speakers cope with such problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the shortest it can be is:

accel.

But what do you mean level acceleration? I've never heard that. Do you mean constant acceleration?

Spetsnaz26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think the shortest it can be is:

accel.

But what do you mean level acceleration? I've never heard that. Do you mean constant acceleration?
I referred to a particular segment of an aircraft's flight. In this segment the aircraft accelerates to a certain speed while maintaining a certain altitude. Assuming constant thrust, acceleration increases during this phase as the aircraft loses weight due to fuel burn.

thanks for that, but what about other words? What I really want to know is how are words turned into universally accepted shorthands in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.