Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Collective Nouns

1. A panel of judges will decide on the winning entry.

2. Several rows of flats were built to solve the housing problem.

3. You have to go up a set of stairs to reach the bedrooms.

4. A flash of lightning lit the sky followed by loud roar of thunder; big quantity of water began to fall.

5. Several sheets of paper fluttered to the floor as a gust of wind blew through he window.

6. A group of people gathered round the scene of the accident. There was a stain of blood on the road beside the overturned car.

7. Janet went to the shop and bought a jug of milk, four bags of flour, a loaf of bread and a bottle of tomato sauce.

8. Among the presents she received were a piece of cloth, a bottle of perfume, a pair of glasses and a bunch of flowers.

9. The audience stood up as the head of Ministers filed into the conference room.

10. A beam of sunlight penetrated through the window and shone on a bunch of fruit on the table.

Thanks in advance

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Looks fabulous. I've just a few minor suggestions. :D

2. Several rows of flats were built to solve the housing problem.
==> But in America--going back to your previous post about "at"--'apartments were built' would be the norm. :wink:

4. A flash of lightning lit the sky followed by a loud roar of thunder; a large quantity of water began to fall.
==> The underlined portion sound odd. :shock:

5. Several sheets of paper fluttered to the floor as a gust of wind blew through the window.
==> Typo. the, not he.

6. A group of people gathered round the scene of the accident. There was a stain of blood on the road beside the overturned car.
==> I'd use around or 'round. :D

9. The audience stood up as the head of Ministers filed into the conference room.
==> Tdol'll catch this. I'm Canadian, and so, 'head of Ministers' sounds odd to me. We don't pay that much attention to politics. We trust too much. :D It's a British term, right? :oops:

All the best, :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have a Head of State. ;-)

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yeah, in North America ' apartments ' are the same as ' flats ' in Britain I guess.

I agree that 4 sounds odd, and doesn't look like English phrase at the end. I'd better scrap it.

How about *** 4. Looking down through the windows of the plane we could see a stretch of islands amidst a large quantity of water. ***

Somehow I am not fond of repeated word, I would stick to ' group ' at 6:p

Head of Ministers is nothing wrong in politics, but ' head ' is not the collective noun. Agreed ? I am trying to figure out another term that might fit in. Any suggestions ?[/b]

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
whl626 said:
Yeah, in North America ' apartments ' are the same as ' flats ' in Britain I guess.

Know you audience. :wink: Choose words that are used in all dialects.

I agree that 4 sounds odd, and doesn't look like English phrase at the end. I'd better scrap it.

Why not add, "Buckets of rain began to fall." :D

How about *** 4. Looking down through the windows of the plane we could see a stretch of islands amidst a large quantity of water. ***

a large body of water :wink:

Somehow I am not fond of repeated word, I would stick to ' group ' at 6:p

You've missed the point. :oops: You wrote 'round'. The word is actually spelled around or 'round with an apostrophe replacing omitted 'a'. :D

Head of Ministers is nothing wrong in politics, but ' head ' is not the collective noun. Agreed ? I am trying to figure out another term that might fit in. Any suggestions ?[/b]

Nope. Sorry. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.