colors of hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chibi

Member Type
Student or Learner
In my country, when people get old, the colors of their hair will turn into white. But I dont know how to call about it in English. Could you please tell me all the names of hair´s natural colors. Thanks in advance.

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
In my country, when people get old, the colors of their hair will turn into white. But I dont know how to call about it in English. Could you please tell me all the names of hair´s natural colors. Thanks in advance.

My hair is beginning to grey. :-(

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other

Old people here have white hair too.

Hair colours:

Fair
blond[e]

mousy
light brown

Brown
Dark brown

Red
Auburn
Ginger

Black
grey

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say:

their (hair)(the color of their hair) (hair color) will turn white

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, as a person ages his hair first starts turning grey, then eventually (once the top of his head is the color of snow) we will describe him as having "white" hair.

In AmE, there are almost too many descriptions of hair color (thanks to the shampoo and hair dye industries). For example, a person with light or "yellow" hair used to simply be a blonde. Today, we describe them as a "honey blonde," "platinum blonde," "ash blonde," "champagne blonde," etc., depending on the actual shade of their hair. :roll:

"Ginger" as a description for red hair is strictly BrE. Depending on the hue of their hair, a redhead in AmE might be described simply as a redhead, or a carrot top, or a strawberry blonde. Of course, fashion magazines also use terms such as "titian," "copper" and "mahogany."

Status
Not open for further replies.