Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Philippines
Please check if both versions are correct and which one is better.

Columbus is not the discoverer of America. The vikings were there way earlier. Curiously, the Minnesota Vikings seem to be the only ones to appreciate this fact. Much more cities, streets, institutions, etc, are named after Columbus.
Columbus was not America's explorer. The vikings had been there way earlier. Strangely, the Minnesota Vikings seem to be the only ones who dignify this fact. Much more cities, streets, institutions, etc. have been named after Columbus.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Cities is a countable noun so "much" doesn't work. Write many more cities.

Explorer doesn't work in that context. Use discoverer.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You also need to capitalize the first instance of 'vikings' as it's still a proper noun.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You also need to capitalize the first instance of 'vikings' as it's still a proper noun.

You need to capitalise the first letter of "Vikings" in every instance.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is the NFL team really named after a belief that the Vikings arrived in America before Columbus? It is also very questionable to argue that the team is the only source that recognises this.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A point of interest. When you say "Minnesota Vikings" are you referring to the football team in the NFL?
I'm not the OP but I can confidently answer that question: Yes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Columbus is not the discoverer of America. The Vikings were there way earlier.
In fact, the continent of North America was discovered sometime around 40,000 BC, when people from Asia crossed the Bering Strait. There were several large civilizations in North America before the Vikings arrived.

Last edited:

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the NFL team really named after a belief that the Vikings arrived in America before Columbus?

Minnesota and other adjacent states in the upper Midwest have significant populations with Scandinavian heritage. Minnesota in particular is known for its strong Norwegian heritage, with Norwegian actually still spoken in small isolated pockets.

The team name is in part a nod towards that Nordic heritage and has nothing to do with Columbus, as far as I know.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, the continent of North America was discovered sometime around 40,000 BC, when people from Asia crossed the Bering strait [strike]straight[/strike]. There were several large civilizations in North America before the Vikings arrived.
It's true that human beings discovered North America several tens of thousands of years ago. Europeans who didn't know it existed discovered it -- i.e., gained knowledge of its existence -- in the tenth and again in the fifteenth century. Had the discovery gone in the other direction it would be just as accurate to say the Aztecs (for example) discovered Europe. :)

AirbusA321

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Philippines
I think there are people all over the world who watch the NFL on TV sometimes. I mean, I'm not a huge fan or so (though I somewhat like the Green Bay cheeseheads) but I'm aware that there's a team called the Minnesota Vikings who keep the heritage of the good old Vikings alive because it seems a little bit unfair to me that Columbus gets so much credits for something that wasn't that special, at least from our 21st century perspective. Maybe it's because back in the days when the cities and streets etc. got their names, the people were not yet aware of the Vikings' achievements thousands of years ago. Otherwise, maybe there would be a "Viking street" in every American town today, who knows?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grossly over-simplified, but.....

The Viking settlements were temporary at best and likely accidental, and the lore was eventually lost to the Viking's own culture, as it didn't result in permanent trading or raiding. Theirs was a mostly oral tradition and since Leif's forays didn't result in any famous exploits, it was soon forgotten by the Vikings who eventually fell out of prominence in Europe.

Columbus sailed with the intent of colonizing and establish trade routes (although he was trying to get to Asia). Ergo, as far as Europeans knew, Columbus's explorations really were the first contact with the New World. Evidence of Viking expeditions has only come to light again relatively recently in the last hundred years or so.

Columbus actually landed first in the Bahamas, and only subsequent trips made it to Cuba and the other Lesser Antilles. Only his last voyage actually made it to the northern part of the South American continent and part way up the Central American coastline.

North America was discovered (or rediscovered) by Italians under commission from an English king. It was an Italian by name of Amerigo Vespucci working for Spain who actually proved South American wasn't Asia as Columbus thought. His published letters are what really spread the knowledge of the New World, and that's why the Americas were eventually named after him.

So, since North America was settled by Europeans with no knowledge of prior Viking expeditions, Columbus got the credit even though he was 10,000 or so miles off-target, because it lead to permanent colonization.

As Churchill said, history is written by the victors. Leif Erickson and the indigenous people lost. Columbus and Europe won.