Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Do we need a comma after 'but' in the following sentence?

Many fans have season tickets, which means they've paid in advance for all the games in a particular period, but??? although an average ticket price is between 20 pounds and 30 pounds, Man U's tickets are not as expensive as those for many other clubs.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence would be better as two sentences. Use a period instead of but.

I have the bad habit of joining clauses with but. I often revise such sentences by breaking them into two.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't delete but, because it's a sentence from an audio script and I need to punctuate the script as it is.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could also punctuate it like this: Many fans have season tickets, which means they've paid in advance for all the games in a particular period. But, although an average ticket price is between 20 pounds and 30 pounds, Man U's tickets are not as expensive as those for many other clubs.

Some old-fashioned teachers will tell you never to begin a sentence with a conjunction. But, they're wrong. :) (They're particularly wrong in this case, where you're trying to punctuate a spoken utterance. People don't normally speak in essay-quality paragraphs.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You could also punctuate it like this: Many fans have season tickets, which means they've paid in advance for all the games in a particular period. But, although an average ticket price is between 20 pounds and 30 pounds, Man U's tickets are not as expensive as those for many other clubs.
Thank you, I go for you variant. By the way, I googled it and found ideas similar to yours about using but and other conjunctions at the beginning of a sentence. And, before I saw your post, I had alrerady broken the sentence and began a new one with but, like you did. I only had doubts about the comma after but (in my language it should be there). Now I see that in this case the punctuation is the same as in my language. Thank you for your help!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I only had doubts about the comma after but (in my language it should be there). Now I see that in this case the punctuation is the same as in my language. Thank you for your help!
I'd say that comma is optional - and often undesirable - if the sentence is short. But I could be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.