Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First I want to check to make sure this is okay. I'm a 47 year old mom who has son in fourth grade. He has 20 sentences to do and I did all but one of them. I am unsure if the sentence needs one or two commas.

See James, here is a sculpture of children.

See, James, here is a sculpture of children.

I think the first is right but now I'm second-guessing myself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:oops: I'm appalled at my lack of observation. I skim-read the question and answered. I've deleted my response even though it's probably too late. The OP has probably seen it already.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rdhorstmann, you are doing your son no favours at all by doing his homework for him. His teacher is going to get a very warped view of his abilities if he submits homework he did not do himself. How is his teacher supposed to work out where his strengths and weaknesses lie?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello and welcome to you Rdhorstmann, and to your son. :)

First, I want to check to make sure this is okay. I'm a 47-year-old mom who has a son in fourth grade. He has 20 sentences to do, and I did all but one of them. I am unsure if the sentence needs one or two commas.
See above corrections. What we're saying is that you're really doing your son no favours by doing his homework for him. It's admirable that you as a mum are prepared to help your son, but it's very important that you don't do the work for him. He needs to do that himself. Otherwise, he'll end up learning nothing, which is not what you want, I'm sure.

I think the first is right, but now I'm [STRIKE]second-guessing[/STRIKE] starting to doubt myself.
"Second-guess" has a different meaning.
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/second-guess

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Remember that the purpose of going to school is to learn, not to get a report card. If your son doesn't learn how to write, he'll have very limited prospects when he grows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.