Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi there,
I want to ask if the following underlined idioms, expressions or words are still popular among English native speakers.

1. spill the beans
2. The plumber simply gave the job a lick and a promise.
3. His good connections make him an ideal rainmaker.
4. He is a fly in the ointment.

Thanks
pete

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
The first and fourth is certainly used commonly. I am from Ireland and have lived in Britain for a long time and have never heard 2 or 3.

Maybe another native speaker can verify or comment?

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
1. With how people talk to each other in movies these days - rough, macho - and in the face of 'ratted', 'opened his big mouth', 'opened his fat trap', 'spill your guts', then 'spill the beans' sounds namby-pamby and I wonder if it still has much currency.

2. I remember this from my youth, and I think only the more elderly would know and use this idiom. You might like to resurrect it amongst your crowd- it's a good one.

3 American Philosophical Association:biographical memoirs
For Lew’s firm, it was a matter of no little consequence that he was, in the current idiom, a rainmaker par excellence. Still, it would be a
fundamental mistake to measure his worth to the firm only by the number and importance of the clients he attracted.

I have never heard this idiom before. Will keep searching.

Last edited:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A "lick and a promise" is quite old and dated, it is used very rarely today. It means to do something in a quick, cursory way, with little regard for detail.

"Rainmaker" is more or less an industry-specific term; it is used to describe a lawyer or attorney who has a knack for using his connections and calling in favors to bring in a lot of business to his firm.

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
As an old (and maybe dated) Brit, but not a teacher, I can relate to all except the "rainmaker". Maybe I haven't watched enough "Boston Legal or LA Law!.

I would have no problem using 1 & 4, nowadays.
2 is a ~ maybe, but not 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.