complex preposition

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me :?:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
me said:
please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me :?:

A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

because of
due to
with respect to
in regard to

More here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
me said:
please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me :?:

A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

because of
due to
with respect to
in regard to

More here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm

Hey! That's not in our glossary. Tdol does say: "Some prepositional phrases can function like single word prepositions; next to, in front of, etc."
https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/preposition.html

His examples, next to and in front of are complex prepositions, right?

:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RonBee said:
MikeNewYork said:
me said:
please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me :?:

A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

because of
due to
with respect to
in regard to

More here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm

Hey! That's not in our glossary. Tdol does say: "Some prepositional phrases can function like single word prepositions; next to, in front of, etc."
https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/preposition.html

His examples, next to and in front of are complex prepositions, right?

:)

Yes they are. It is a terminology thing, but, for me, a prepositional phrase is a preposition (simple or complex) plus its object and any modifiers of the object.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK- I'll add complex. ;-)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
OK- I'll add complex. ;-)

Thanks. I feel better now.

:wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've added something quickly. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
OK- I'll add complex. ;-)

You are very agreeable tonight. :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/complex-preposition.html :lol:

Good job! :wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

chellamuthu

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,
Thank you Tdol and Mike. I was also having some doubt on this.


Chellamuthu
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top