concept/conception

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUTOMOON

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
hi, everyone

I just can't make out the slight or big shadings of the two words.
Would you mind helping me with them?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AUTOMOON said:
hi, everyone

I just can't make out the slight or big shadings of the two words.
Would you mind helping me with them?

I agree with TDOL's answer. There are times, however, when "conception" and "concept" are both used to mean "idea". When that happens, however, "conception" is an idea that is still forming, while "concept" is one that is better thought out.
 

AUTOMOON

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am all clear now, and I am happy to hear from you so soon.


:)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AUTOMOON said:
I am all clear now, and I am happy to hear from you so soon.


:)

And we are happy to hear from you. :wink:
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
MikeNewYork said:
AUTOMOON said:
hi, everyone

I just can't make out the slight or big shadings of the two words.
Would you mind helping me with them?

I agree with TDOL's answer. There are times, however, when "conception" and "concept" are both used to mean "idea". When that happens, however, "conception" is an idea that is still forming, while "concept" is one that is better thought out.
Process and Product?;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Those pesky browser windows get confusing. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is somewhat easy to get lost in here. There are no windows. :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top