Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Dear sirs,

I have this kind of problem of using "And" in this sentence. My question is which one is correct.

1. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and being the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.
2. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and is the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.
3. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.

I mean the indicative use of "verb to be" in both parts of the phrase connecting with and. please.

Best regards,
Piak

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second one. Definitely.

:)

Piak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you, RonBee.

Best regards,
Piak

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Piak said:
Dear sirs,

I have this kind of problem of using "And" in this sentence. My question is which one is correct.

1. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and being the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.
2. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and is the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.
3. She has filed a petition requesting the district office to issue a letter certifying that she is the mother of Miss. Kunna, and the person exercising the sole parental power and custody over Miss. Kunna, who is her minor child.

I mean the indicative use of "verb to be" in both parts of the phrase connecting with and. please.

Best regards,
Piak

The first sentence doesn't work because you have a coordinating conjunction "and" connecting a verb "is" and a gerund/participle "being". Conjunctions should connect words of the same function.

Sentence two works the best. The "and" connects "is" and "is". The third sentence works also, but the conjunction then connects "mother" and "person".

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's a good explanation, Mike.

:D

MikeNewYork