context

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

abrilsp

Hi :)

I would like to know a possible context for the following sentence:

"V.S. Naipaul. `In the canon of contemporary British writing he is without peer. Read him’ "

It is difficult for me to figure it out, because of the inverted commas and the dot after the name of the writer. I think can be from a paragraph talking about his writing but I do not understand the punctuation.

Many thanks,

abrilsp

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first "sentence" is a kind of shorthand. The point is to call attention to the person's name. (It works, doesn't it?) I do not know the reason for the punctuation. (More context may or may not help.)

(Say: "I think it is from a paragraph about his writing....")

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The use of inverted commas is a bit strange. The single set make sense as that could be a quote in them, but I can't really see the point of the double ones. As Ron says, context could fill in the gaps, but there is a gap there for me. ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
abrilsp said:
"V.S. Naipaul. `In the canon of contemporary British writing he is without peer. Read him’ "

The underlined portion is a quote within a quote. The context is most likely a review: author's name first, followed by a period followed by a critic's or writer's or professor's opinion. Such opinions are generally found in book reviews or on the outside or inside of the book's cover or jacket. As for the double quoted area ("..."), it seems to me that it may have been taken from a list outlining authors of a given topic or area.

:D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I find "VS Naipul" difficult as a quote- it's a very odd quote. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought it was probably from a book review also. As for the double quotes, I wasn't sure they were in the original. (Perhaps our original poster will clarify that.) Cas could be right tho. She usually is.

:wink:

A

abrilsp

Hi

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I should clarify that the double quotes are my invention, I should have said before, sorry about that :oops:

Again, thanks a lot,

abrilsp

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
abrilsp said:
Hi

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I should clarify that the double quotes are my invention, I should have said before, sorry about that :oops:

Again, thanks a lot,

abrilsp

:) ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.