Contractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Can you all be written in contraction form at you'll?

Thanks

N

Natalie27

I don't think so. You'll stands for you will unless you seen that kind of contraction in some song lyrics...possibly rap/slang maybe?...:cool: :-D

N

Nahualli

Natalie27 said:
I don't think so. You'll stands for you will unless you seen that kind of contraction in some song lyrics...possibly rap/slang maybe?...:cool: :-D
It is colloquial, but not slang, per se.

In the Southern, and some parts of the Midwest and Southwest US (Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc) it's very commonplace to hear people say "y'all" which is a contraction of "you all". You won't find it in a standard English dictionary but it is a valid albeit sometimes frowned upon expression.

So your answer is yes and no. It's certainly a real contraction to the few million people who say it, but it's not considered "proper" (whatever that means)

-Nah-

Steven D

Member Type
English Teacher
Nahualli said:
It is colloquial, but not slang, per se.

In the Southern, and some parts of the Midwest and Southwest US (Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Louisiana, etc) it's very commonplace to hear people say "y'all" which is a contraction of "you all". You won't find it in a standard English dictionary but it is a valid albeit sometimes frowned upon expression.

So your answer is yes and no. It's certainly a real contraction to the few million people who say it, but it's not considered "proper" (whatever that means)

-Nah-

Well said. I understand what you mean.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Unregistered said:
Can you all be written in contraction form at you'll?

Thanks
In addition,

'a' of all is important. If we omit it--or rather replace it with an apostrophe--the resulting form looks exactly like the contraction for will:

all => 'll
will => 'll

In order to reduce the ambiguity, speakers will omit ou instead of 'a':

you all => y'all (' represents the sound ou)
you will => you'll (' represents the sounds wi)

Status
Not open for further replies.