Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

An actor was talking about his character in the movie saying:

"I WAS INSPIRED BY PEPE LE PEW FOR MY CHARACTER, UM, THAT HE HAD THAT EASE AND THAT HE JUST KEPT GOING. AND THAT IT WAS JUST CONSTANT AND EVERYONE ELSE COULD SCRAMBLE. BUT I WOULD ALWAYS JUST STAY IN MY OWN MODE, CONVINCED OF WHAT I WAS CONVINCED OF, THAT THAT CAT WAS A SKUNK."

What is the meaning of "convinced of what I was convinced of"?? Does it mean "although"? bec. what he says first contradicts the word "skunk" which has a negative connotation.

thank a lot

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Pepe Le Pew was a cartoon skunk who fall in love with cats he thought were female skunks, so the similarity is probably the character's ability to stay convinced that something was true even though it was not.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks. I got the point but really the structure is so weird as if he is saying "i'm convinced that the cat was a skunk" the cat is the the "skunk"?

i'm confused still , but so far I'll stick with what you said.

Thanks for the link.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a slightly strange structure because of the repetition. What he means is that he believed something and no one could shake his faith or make him have doubts.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's a slightly strange structure because of the repetition. What he means is that he believed something and no one could shake his faith or make him have doubts.

Thanks a lot for not ignoring my last post :) you all are the best :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.