correct sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

could you please check the highlighted part of the sentence:

He shall instruct the contractor’s workers to discontinue the works where the contractor’s representative is not available and where safety of the work performed or life or health are endangered or in the case of any other imminent serious damage.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
He shall instruct the contractor’s workers to suspend all work where the contractor’s representative

is not available : does the preceding paragraph define what 'available' means? Does it mean, at the end of a phone, or actually on site??

and where safety of the work being performed or life or health are endangered or in the case of any other imminent serious hazard.

Hanka

Member Type
Student or Learner
"available" is not defined, but I think that it means that it is not possible to contact him. Maybe I could say "where the representative cannot be reached"

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
He shall instruct the contractor’s workers to suspend all work where the contractor’s representative cannot be contacted and where safety of the work being performed or life or health are endangered or in the case of any other imminent serious hazard.

puzzle

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
David L.Re: correct sentence?
He shall instruct the contractor’s workers to suspend all work where the contractor’s representative cannot be contacted and where safety of the work being performed or life or health are endangered or in the case of any other imminent serious hazard.

:?: I don't understand what "where" means here? And I think it should have "not" before "being performed", right? Please.

Neillythere

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
David L.Re: correct sentence?

:?: I don't understand what "where" means here? And I think it should have "not" before "being performed", right? Please.

Comments as follows, but not as a teacher:

1. Note the joint requirement that both the rep is unavailable and there is a potential hazardous situation.
2. I believe "where" means "in any situation where"
3. Putting "not" in the sentence would suggest, to me, that safety work was not being performed, whereas I believe the intent is that the construction work being performed was not being performed with due regard to safety. It's a subtle difference.

puzzle

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
One more question, can I add "the" before "saftey of the work" in this case? Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.