Correct sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Are the following sentences correct grammatically ?

1. He has many furniture .

2. The truck driver had lost controlled of this vehicle .

3. The driver of the car had lost control of his car in the accident .

E

eric

Tarmizi said:

I think 'furniture" is uncountable,so you should use "much".

The truck drive had lost control of this vehicle.

I don't know how to correct this sentence, sorry.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarmizi said:

Eric is right. It should be much furniture. (You could say "He has many furnitures" except "furnitures" is not used.)

Tarmizi said:

The expression is lost control (as Eric noted). The sentence would normally be expressed as: "The truck driver lost control of his vehicle." (You don't need the "has" unless circumstances require you to use the past perfect. Context determines that.)

Tarmizi said:

That sentence is fine if you need to use past perfect. Otherwise, use simple past. In that case it would be: "The driver of the car lost control of his car in the accident."

:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Eric is right. It should be much furniture. (You could say "He has many furnitures" except "furnitures" is not used.)

The expression is lost control (as Eric noted). The sentence would normally be expressed as: "The truck driver lost control of his vehicle." (You don't need the "has" unless circumstances require you to use the past perfect. Context determines that.)

That sentence is fine if you need to use past perfect. Otherwise, use simple past. In that case it would be: "The driver of the car lost control of his car in the accident."

:)

Instead of "lost control of his car" must be "lost control over his car", as"control" reqires preposition "over" and not "of".

Am I right?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Instead of "lost control of his car" must be "lost control over his car", as"control" reqires preposition "over" and not "of".

Am I right?

Likewise neither "much" nor "many" is appropriate for furnitue as furniture is as uncountable, therefore, it can not be used with "s" -"furnitures" and must have "lot of furniture" in place of much or many.

Am I right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.