Could you please give me further help as to vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I assume that you are referring to the question about the multiple choice test. I know it is frustrating when we disagree, but that is the way of language and testing. If two "experts" disagree about the answer to a question, it is very likely that the question is the problem. In one case, a question may ask for a choice between two correct answers. In another, the choice may be between two incorrect answers. That will always lead to confusion and disagreement. WE are here to help you, not to confuse you. But, sometimes, that cannot be avoided. :?
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
While there is deisagreement over some issues, this is the same in any area of academic or educational life. However, there is far more agreement thatn disagreement. I also think Mike is right about multiple choice answers. Sometimes an incorrect answer can be given that looked correct to the test writer at the time. ;-)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Mike,
Thank you for your patience. You are right. The test paper is to blame. They are really demanding and make you feel unreliable as far as their keys are concerned.
Jiang

MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

I assume that you are referring to the question about the multiple choice test. I know it is frustrating when we disagree, but that is the way of language and testing. If two "experts" disagree about the answer to a question, it is very likely that the question is the problem. In one case, a question may ask for a choice between two correct answers. In another, the choice may be between two incorrect answers. That will always lead to confusion and disagreement. WE are here to help you, not to confuse you. But, sometimes, that cannot be avoided. :?
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for supporting Mike. Now I think I should follow the majority.
Jiang

tdol said:
While there is deisagreement over some issues, this is the same in any area of academic or educational life. However, there is far more agreement thatn disagreement. I also think Mike is right about multiple choice answers. Sometimes an incorrect answer can be given that looked correct to the test writer at the time. ;-)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I must confess that Mike and I don't agree on absolutely everything.;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear Mike,
Thank you for your patience. You are right. The test paper is to blame. They are really demanding and make you feel unreliable as far as their keys are concerned.
Jiang

I don't blame you for being frustrated. I would be :mad:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
I must confess that Mike and I don't agree on absolutely everything.;-)

I agree with that. :roll:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for your reply and your explanations.

The problem is that I have got different answers. I felt at a loss. If you experts and teachers can't agree with each other. What can I do about it? So could you please tell me the correct answers when you agree with each other? I am faced with those choices.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Jiang, consider the fact that Mike, tdol, Ronbee, and I live in different parts of the world. We do not speak the same dialect of English. Moreover, the same can be said to hold true for the person who wrote the questions for the multiple choice test. The test sentences are grammatical.

All the best,
 
H

Hong Kong Chinese

Guest
Dear Jiang, (It means river in Chinese)

Please let me break in!

Disagreement or agreement is no big deal and the model answers are not always correct especially if you are using English books published in China. But through the zealous experts and passionate English teachers here discussing on your questions point by point, you will learn something day by day. I’d say you can learn more here than in your classroom. Furthermore, it is all free!

I wish you good luck!
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your encouragement. English education in Hong Kong must be much better than here ( I guess you are from Hong Kong from your name). Our problem is that you always try to find a correct answer faced with exercise books.

Best wishes,

Jiang
Hong Kong Chinese said:
Dear Jiang, (It means river in Chinese)

Please let me break in!

Disagreement or agreement is no big deal and the model answers are not always correct especially if you are using English books published in China. But through the zealous experts and passionate English teachers here discussing on your questions point by point, you will learn something day by day. I’d say you can learn more here than in your classroom. Furthermore, it is all free!

I wish you good luck!
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Thank you very much for your encouragement. English education in Hong Kong must be much better than here ( I guess you are from Hong Kong from your name). Our problem is that you always try to find a correct answer faced with exercise books.

Best wishes,

Jiang
Hong Kong Chinese said:
Dear Jiang, (It means river in Chinese)

I encourage you to continue looking for the right answers. Understand, however, that in many cases, word choice is a matter of individual preference. :wink:
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank for your encouragement and advice. I'll continue looking for the right answers. But sometimes there are mistakes in this type of exercises. So I sincerely thank you all teachers. Without your warm help study would be much much difficult. And it's true most of us lose marks in vocabulary section.

Best wishes,

Jiang

MikeNewYork said:
jiang said:
Thank you very much for your encouragement. English education in Hong Kong must be much better than here ( I guess you are from Hong Kong from your name). Our problem is that you always try to find a correct answer faced with exercise books.

Best wishes,

Jiang
Hong Kong Chinese said:
Dear Jiang, (It means river in Chinese)

I encourage you to continue looking for the right answers. Understand, however, that in many cases, word choice is a matter of individual preference. :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Thank for your encouragement and advice. I'll continue looking for the right answers. But sometimes there are mistakes in this type of exercises. So I sincerely thank you all teachers. Without your warm help study would be much much difficult. And it's true most of us lose marks in vocabulary section.

Best wishes,

Jiang

You're very welcome. We will be here to help you. :wink:
 
H

Hong Kong Chinese

Guest
Mr Jiang, My earnest advice!

Mr Jiang,

In fact our educational system is no better than that of China.
However, we have two English TV channels airing programmes in English and we do have a relayed BBC programmes which are broadcasted around the clock.

As far as far I know, from the educational standpoints, reciting is the best ways to learn another foreign language, but most students find it this process boring.

I learnt my oral English by visiting pubs (bars) and talked with English speakers all the time.

In order to enhancing your comprehension, reading the popular fictions in the market is important. You cannot run before you walk, Right?

There are plenty resources on learning English in Hong Kong. Hong Kong libraries have many books on English.

Finally, one must interest in English before one can master it.

Ok, I think that this link will help you by spending sometime every day visiting there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

Good Luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top