Could you please tell how can i use the following words

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismail albasha

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi every body.

I have just joined this useful forum. Could any one tell me how I can differntiate in using between the following word with their examples:

home - house

big - large

and if there are more similar words >>>

with all my regrads,

Ismail - KSA

shalstudent

VIP Member
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
House: A building in which people live or reside/a building for any purpose like worshipping, business deals etc.

Home: A place where people settle down, a place which gives a feeling of comfort.

The basic difference between a Home and a house is that a home gives you a feeling of security and peace; a place which gives you a feeling of belonging.

A house maybe termed as a building/a building where meetings take place etc.

eg: I am going Home during my holidays....

-- We are planning to build a house.

-- Your home is so comfortable.

-- That house (building) is so huge!!

2) Big: means large, full-size.

Large: Huge, fat, bulky, hefty, outsized.

Big also means large but large has other meanings like fat, over sized etc.

Eg: Big: He has a big house.

ii) Large: He has a large size or his size is large.

EG: Her eyes grew big/large with fear.

The quantity of food that he intook was quite large (meaning he ate a lot, you can't say big here).

Hope this clarifies.....

ismail albasha

Member Type
English Teacher
Thank you very much my dear , I think I got some new idea of how I can differentiate between the two words ,,, but honestly still there are some doubts,,,, I can say ... I'm going to my house at noon. meaning the place where I live with my family .. the same way I can say .. I'm going home at noon .. meaning the same .. the place where I live with my family and according to your answer both are buildings ( house - home ) .. could you please go deep in more example esp. for the house ....

shalstudent

VIP Member
Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ismail,

Just to make you understand the difference between "Home" and "House".: The basic difference is that a "Home" is a place which gives a feeling of comfort and a "House" does not become a home unless that feeling is created. A house is a building and people do live there.

Let me try and give you some more examples in terms of usage:

In your sentence above,

1. I'm going to my house at noon

In the above sentence, "house" is preceded by the pronoun "my." When the pronoun "my" is used, it gives a feeling of belonging to you.

Let's see this sentence:

--I am going to that house at noon:- "The House" can mean any building, the book house, the game-house, your neighor's house etc.

--I am going to my friend's house in the evening-- In this case, "my" is being used for the friend but the home is still not yours, for you its just a house.

Let's see this sentence:

1. I'm going Home at noon- You cannot say, "Iam going to my home" because "Home" already gives a sense of belonging .

2. My friend loves her home.-- again a sense of belonging to the friend.

Hope this clarifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.