Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
A friend of mine went to Ireland that summer and talked about 'counter' meaning 'liar'. Talking about a person, I guess

I profoundly disagree with him and would rather stick to the dictionaries' definitions. I assume he had to hear it and then write it wrongly

Look forwards to hearing from native speakers of English in particular - please, do not mind the other folks ;-)

Thanks in advance

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
When someone is irritated by something or someone, he says 'fucking counter'.

My friend said me he was not sure of how to write that. So do you know something (a word) which could sound like 'counter' in that kind of context.

Sorry for the little help to make it clearer but it is not my fault...

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When someone is irritated by something or someone, he says 'fucking counter'.

My friend said me he was not sure of how to write that. So do you know something (a word) which could sound like 'counter' in that kind of context.

Sorry for the little help to make it clearer but it is not my fault...
Hi, Phil! How are you doing, my friend? :up:

I've never heard 'liar' and 'counter' used synonymously.

I ran a quick Google on "counter liar" and came up with a possibility. Perhaps your friend is using the term 'counter' to describe someone who doesn't follow conventional beliefs or behaviors. Possibly, a 'counter' is a member of the counter-culture...a contrarian who refuses to follow the mainstream!

Example:
Phil: "Shawn told me the Democrats were all crooks!"
Bob: "Shawn's a f***ing counter! He always thinks the worst about everything!"

Just a thought, Phil! Take it or leave it! ;-)

Cheers,
Amigo

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi, Phil! How are you doing, my friend? :up:

I've never heard 'liar' and 'counter' used synonymously.

I ran a quick Google on "counter liar" and came up with a possibility. Perhaps your friend is using the term 'counter' to describe someone who doesn't follow conventional beliefs or behaviors. Possibly, a 'counter' is a member of the counter-culture...a contrarian who refuses to follow the mainstream!

Example:
Phil: "Shawn told me the Democrats were all crooks!"
Bob: "Shawn's a f***ing counter! He always thinks the worst about everything!"

Just a thought, Phil! Take it or leave it! ;-)

Cheers,
Amigo

You are always at the top of the things, my dear friend! :-D;-) I am well and keep on improving my English - a bit less now as I have got to study harder

To stick to the facts, I do take it from you for the moment as it makes sense. Thank you for your great help - as usual, I daresay :cool:

That being said, I have just thought of the word might be a near-synonym of the following idioms: bugguer, shit, holy crap, dammit, screw it...

How does it sound to you? Any idea about a word which sounds like counter but it should be written differently? ;-) Because I am almost sure he wrongly typed what he heard

According to the context, I also think it may be (the counter) a person who does crap, talks bullshit and so you cannot rely on.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Phil!

There is one possibility that I haven't mentioned to you. There is a vile expression, considered by many to be the most offensive word in the English language, that refers to a woman's genitalia, 'c*nt'. This word is frequently preceded by the 'F' word.

For some reason this word really offends people, maybe because of the exceptionally crude sound of the word, or maybe because talking about the female genitalia is still considered unnaceptable.

Anyway, I can't think of another word that might answer your initial question!

Keep in touch, my friend!

Cheers,
Amigo

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, Phil!

There is one possibility that I haven't mentioned to you. There is a vile expression, considered by many to be the most offensive word in the English language, that refers to a woman's genitalia, 'c*nt'. This word is frequently preceded by the 'F' word.

For some reason this word really offends people, maybe because of the exceptionally crude sound of the word, or maybe because talking about the female genitalia is still considered unnaceptable.

Cheers,
Amigo
I agree, that's the most likely solution.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi, Phil!

Cheers,
Amigo

I have just checked it out and it fits perfectly. I take it for sure. Thank you once again so much, my dear friend!

See you around :-D;-)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have just checked it out and it fits perfectly. I take it for sure. Thank you once again so much, my dear friend!

See you around :-D;-)
Hi, Phil! Just a quick word of caution: Don't use the "c" word in casual conversation! It most likely will not be appreciated by your listening audience!!!! :shock: I do not consider myself to be prudish but even I find the word to be very offensive! ;-)

Good luck with your studies, my friend!

Cheers,
Amigo

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France