Dashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnelv

What is the difference between and en-dash and an em-dash, and how and when are they used?

Thanks
John

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
johnelv said:
What is the difference between and en-dash and an em-dash, and how and when are they used?

Thanks
John
1 entry found for en-dash.
en·dash or en dash ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ndsh)
n.
A symbol ( - ) used in writing or printing to connect continuing or inclusive numbers or to connect elements of a compound adjective when either of the elements is an open compound, as 1880-1945 or Princeton-New York trains.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From its being the width of an n in printing.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

1 entry found for em-dash.
em·dash or em dash ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mdsh)
n.
A symbol ( ) used in writing and printing to indicate a break in thought or sentence structure, to introduce a phrase added for emphasis, definition, or explanation, or to separate two clauses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[From its being the width of an m in printing.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Does this help? ;-) I got the info from www.dictionary.com

J

johnelv

Thanks - yes it helped me understand an en-dash. But now I have more questions about em-dash. Seems em-dash is similar in behavior to a comma and a semi-coln in separating stand alone clauses - so when would you use an em-dash over a semi-colon or comma.

Thanks
John

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Most people use it because they aren't too sure whether to use a comma or a semi-colon. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.