Dear MIKENEWYORK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

"I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of you guys partying like ******* animals"

MIKENEWYORK said:
This is one of those situations in which the possessive + gerund form doesn't work very well. "Partying" is a participle-adjective in this sentence.

1. SO you mean, if I use your guys partying [possessive+gerund], it does not work. I should use you guys partying right?? :roll:

2. IS it the same case as "I saw him drawing the picture." :roll:

W

wendy

3.Can I change the sentence to "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of you guys that were partying like ******* animals"?? Is it still mean the same??

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
vendy said:
"I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of you guys partying like ******* animals"

MIKENEWYORK said:
This is one of those situations in which the possessive + gerund form doesn't work very well. "Partying" is a participle-adjective in this sentence.

1. SO you mean, if I use your guys partying [possessive+gerund], it does not work. I should use you guys partying right?? :roll:

2. IS it the same case as "I saw him drawing the picture." :roll:

Yes, on both counts. I think you're picking this up! :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wendy said:
3.Can I change the sentence to "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of you guys that were partying like ******* animals"?? Is it still mean the same??

Yes, the meaning is the same, but that is less natural. If it were "guys" instead of "you guys", your relative clause would be fine. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.