Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
heard it in Shameless. Someone said "Comprendo? Dekko?" pronouncing both with a rising intonation. I did research on "dekko" and found out it means "to look". Am I to assume that in this case like "comprendo" it means something like "Understand?See?"

Baz1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Exactly right... and as for the 'rising intonation', that's a part of the Manchester accent.

english-kazan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ta very much

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was a kid living in Lancashire, not far from Manchester, it was always 'have a dekko' - "Have a dekko at that girl across the street!" Are you sure that's the sense here? Could Dekko possibly be a character? Of course, I'd have to hear to say for sure.

'Have a shufti' is another slang expression with the same meaning. I'd certainly notice if someone used either expression because I don't think they're that common these days, especially 'have a dekko', which I doubt I've heard since my youth. Or maybe I don't hear them because I'm no longer 18 and don't use slang that much anymore.

Interestingly, both terms were brought home by the English army, dekko (from Hindi) in the late 19th century and shufti (from Arabic) in WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.