Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all,
I've got a question like this:
Paraphrasing.jpg
The correct answer is A. I don't get it. I understand that the sentence in paragraph is like "The desertification results from vast areas of land and numbers of people". But the correct answer is like "Desertification affect large area of land and numbers of people".
Am I get something wrong?
Thank you very much for helping me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Paraphrasing sentence - Question in a Reading Test

Hi all,
I've got a question about this:
View attachment 2784
The correct answer is A. I don't get it. I understand that the sentence in the paragraph is (delete like) "The desertification results from vast areas of land and numbers of people".

The grammar is right but the syntax is wrong. It's not a complete thought yet. There are plenty of places with lots of land and people that aren't desertifying. So that's not the cause. Desertification results from land and people doing what?

But the correct answer is (delete like) "Desertification affects large areas of land and numbers of people".

That wasn't correct, either. I corrected it.

Am I get something wrong?

I don't know. What's your question?

Thank you very much for helping me.
I opened the text image. The print was too small to read. Can you type it out?

Also, look up the uses of the word like. It can be a useful word, but you used it incorrectly in three places.

bogialaoleu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

I opened the text image. The print was too small to read. Can you type it out?

Also, look up the uses of the word like. It can be a useful word, but you used it incorrectly in three places.
Yes, here the sentence in the paragraph is:The extreme seriousness of desertification results from the vast areas of land and tremendous numbers of people affected, as well as from the great difficulty of reversing or even slowing the process.

And this is the answer:Desertification is a significant problem because it is so hard to reverse and affects large areas of land and great numbers of people.

I don't understand the sentence in the paragraph :-(
I can understand the sentence as Desertification is caused by the vast areas of land and tremendous numbers of people (why the word "affected" is there?). After the word "result from", there must be a noun but "affected" is there and things are so complicated.
Thank you so much for giving advice on my type by the way :up:

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

You are misreading the text.

The subject of the sentence in the paragraph is The extreme seriousness (of the problem), not the desertification. This means that the problem is considered very serious because it affects vast areas of land and people, and is difficult to reverse.

bogialaoleu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Oh, I see that. Im so careless. Thank you guys so much