Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there, I have a question regarding the usage of "Did you know.." vs "Do you know..". Could you please tell me which one of these phrases should be preferred in the context?

1. Hey peter, do/did you know England have won the the match.

I think "did you know" is the correct choice because the phrase "did you know" is used when I am asking someone if they know a fact, and I already know that fact and the phrase "do you know" is usually used when I am trying to find out information that I do not know. But I have seen people use both "did you know" and "do you know" in the above context with the same intention. Is "Hey peter, do you know..." can termed as grammatical?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "Did you know ...?" when referring to a relatively recent piece of news if I'm not sure if the other person has already heard it. I already know the news.

Did you know [that] Sarah's pregnant?
Did you know [that] West Tangalu launched a nuclear warhead?
Did you know [that] my mum's won an Oscar?

I would use "Do you know ...?" for more general knowledge when I don't know the answer and am hoping the other person will be able to tell me:

Do you know what the capital of Uzbekistan is?
Do you know who won the Best Actor Oscar in 1996?
Do you know why they cut down that beautiful old tree in the park?

As you can see, in the first set of questions, "Did you know ..." is followed by an optional "that" and then a fact. In the second set of questions, "Do you know ..." is followed by an interrogative word (who/what/where/when/why).