difference in meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUPITA

can you tell me the difference between detention and arrest?

thanks in advance

lupita

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
LUPITA said:

thanks in advance

lupita

When an individual is "arrested", he/she is legally detained for a period of time. This may extend to and through a trial, and longer, if there is a conviction. The detention part may be only temporary, however, if charges are not filed or if bail is posted. "Detention" might also occur in the absence of a true "arrest". A person can be detained as a material witness in a criminal case, for example.

LUPITA

MikeNewYork said:
LUPITA said:

thanks in advance

lupita

When an individual is "arrested", he/she is legally detained for a period of time. This may extend to and through a trial, and longer, if there is a conviction. The dention part may be only temporary, however, if charges are not filed or if bail is posted. "Detention" might also occur in the absence of a true "arrest". A person can be detained as a material witness in a criminal case, for example.

thanks mike,

but when you say "llegally detained" you means with a warrant and in the case of detention it is not necessary, you can go with a criminal to the police station in order to get some information about his/her name or nationality, so that could be called a detention???

thanks again

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Detaines can have a wider meaning- people can be detained under various non-criminal circumstances. for example, some asylum seekers are held in places while their application is checked. They haven't been arrested and aren't charged, but are not at liberty. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
thanks mike,

but when you say "llegally detained" you means with a warrant and in the case of detention it is not necessary, you can go with a criminal to the police station in order to get some information about his/her name or nationality, so that could be called a detention???

thanks again

I'm not sure what you are asking here. One could call anything that involves an authority keeping a person in custody "detention".

henry

tdol said:
Detaines can have a wider meaning- people can be detained under various non-criminal circumstances. for example, some asylum seekers are held in places while their application is checked. They haven't been arrested and aren't charged, but are not at liberty. ;-)

A very good example! :up:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A common enough one nowadays.