difference of meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipawa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,
I would like to know if there is a difference of meaning and use between to go upstairs and to go up the stairs, to downstairs and to go down the stairs? I have to be very precise in the language when teaching children.
The exercise is to give instructions to children and for them to do what asked in the new language.

Than you very much.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
If I live in a two-storey home, then my bedroom is upstairs. I might say to a friend that 'I just need to run upstairs to get my coat, and then we can leave for school'

'upstairs' refers to the upper floor of a house or building.
If I am giving someone directions in a building, I might say, " Go down this hall, then up the stairs and turn left. It's on your right."

'up the stairs' is directing someone to actually go up a staircase -'walk up the stairs'.

nipawa

Member Type
Student or Learner
thank you for this quick answer. So i could say "go up the stairs", "go down the stairs" -"walk up the stairs" and "walk down the stairs" (directing the children). Using those 4 expressions would be correct?

Thank you.

Last edited:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
upstairs is a place

So one can go upstairs, just like they go to the store.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
thank you for this quick answer. So i could say "go up the stairs", "go down the stairs" -"walk up the stairs" and "walk down the stairs" (directing the children). Using those 4 expressions would be correct?

Thank you.
Yes! All 4 expressions are correct! :up:

Cheers,
Amigo

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
upstairs is a place

So one can go upstairs, just like they go to the store.

:up: And another result of 'upstairs' being a place is that you don't have to get there in any particular way. If I'm in a department store and ask someone "Could you show me to the Menswear department?" the answer might be "Yes sir, it's upstairs. The lift [Am. elevator] is over there." That is, you don't always have to go "up the stairs" to get upstairs (though you often do).

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.