difference of the two phrases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
What differences are there between "hold one's breath" and "catch one's breath"?


I 'd like to know the difference in nuance.

Thanks for your help!
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
pb said:
What differences are there between "hold one's breath" and "catch one's breath"? I 'd like to know the difference in nuance.

hold one's breath = stop one's breath
catch one's breath = find one's breath

Examples

We've been jogging for 30 minutes. I need to stop and catch my breath.
==> I need to stop and rest.

They're going to announce the winner right now. I'm so nervous. My breathing is loud, so I'm going to hold my breath.
==> I'm going to make myself stop breathing, because the sound of my breathing is really loud right now and maybe I won't be able to hear them announce the winner.

:D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Isn't 'catch your breath' often used for a short break required, such as after rushing for a bus? ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Isn't 'catch your breath' often used for a short break required, such as after rushing for a bus? ;-)

Yup. I concur.

Cas said:
We've been jogging for 30 minutes. I need to stop and catch my breath.
==> I need to stop and rest.

:D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
After 30 minutes' jogging, I'd need urgent medical attention and an oxygen tent. ;-)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
After 30 minutes' jogging, I'd need urgent medical attention and an oxygen tent. ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: catch a cab :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top