Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to Longman English Grammar, we use quotation marks when we mention the title of e.g. a book, film or play:
How long did it take you to read "War and Peace"?' I asked
However, this is often a matter of personal taste. In print, titles often appear in italics without quotation marks.
Unquote

Do I have to use quotation marks when I mention the name of a law, ministerial ordinance, or a report?

Nearly 30 years have already passed since "the Law for Equal Employment Opportunities for Men and Women" was passed.
I don't think the quotation marks should be used in the above case.

The Japanese government made an appeal for opinions on a "Draft Ministerial Ordinance for Partial Revision of Regulations for Enforcement of the Telecommunications Business Act."
Should I write like this?: The Japanese government made an appeal for opinions on a draft of the Ministerial Ordinance for Partial Revision of Regulations for Enforcement of the Telecommunications Business Act.

The Council sent a report on the "Status of Basic Telecommunications Service Systems."
Should I write like this?: The Council sent a report on the status of basic telecommunications service systems.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a question not of grammar but of 'house style' (stylistic choices made by institutions of various kinds - colleges, publishing house, newspapers...).

On your last point, probably no. It probably has to be clear that this is the title of a document.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.