Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd like to know whether the definition below is neutral, derogative or commendatory?

Concubine: A woman who cohabits with a man.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
NewHope said:
I'd like to know whether the definition below is neutral, derogative or commendatory?

Concubine: A woman who cohabits with a man.

Neutral. Note that, a modern day housewife cohabits with a man. :wink: The definition should be a bit more specific. :up:

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Cool!

I'd like to hear more opinions about it!

S

Sam-F

Both dictionary.com and m-w.com (Marriam-Webster dictionary) agree with your definition, with the addition of "...without being legaly married to him" (thus agreeing with Casiopea).

Secondary definitions from these two dictionaries include:

-"In certain societies, such as imperial China, a woman contracted to a man as a secondary wife, often having few legal rights and low social status."

-"One having a recognized social status in a household below that of a wife"

-"A wife of inferior condition; a lawful wife, but not united to the man by the usual ceremonies, and of inferior condition."

Dictionary.com definition
Merriam Webster definition

Hope this helps.

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks Sam-F.

But I just hoped you offer your opinion whether the definition is neutral or d/c.

S

Sam-F

Right, sorry.

I guess that, if you don't mention the fact that either a concubine isn't married, or that she might be of lower social status, calling a concubine "someone who cohabits with a man" is a little too neutral: it's like saying that a concubine is a woman -- it's neutral, but it doesn't say enough.

The definitions that I quoted I'd also say were neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.