Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I found the sentence "Match the pictures on p11 to each of the four ancient societies in paragragh three"
I think it misses the "the" before "paragraph three".(this paragraph is definite, I can see it in the book).
Can you please explain more ?
(the book in which I found this sentence was written by English authors, its title is "Headway")
Thank you very much!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I found the sentence "Match the pictures on p11 to each of the four ancient societies in paragragh three"
I think it misses the "the" before "paragraph three".(this paragraph is definite, I can see it in the book).
Can you please explain more ?
(the book in which I found this sentence was written by English authors, its title is "Headway")
Thank you very much!
No. "the paragraph three" would be wrong, although you would say "the third paragraph". Note that you didn't ask about "the p11", which would also be wrong.

Similarly, "page 2", Chapter Two", "Book 7". These are all names, and don't take "the". The third paragraph is called "paragraph three" as a type of name, but it doesn't take capital letters because it's not formally named as, say, 'Chapter Two' is.

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Can you please explain more ? No article is needed there, definite or indefinite.
There are many times no article is used. I will give you some examples with "in" in which no article is used, even though something definite is being referred to.

in Chicago
in December
in winter
in science class
in sentence 2
in Spanish history

Status
Not open for further replies.