Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi dear experts. Could you tell if the following sounds OK in English:

"Consequently, they have become critical and ironical of themselves, which in turn has given rise to nihilism – the Bulgarians blame themselves, other people, the government and everything labeled Bulgarian. The Bulgarian phrase “That’s a Bulgarian job” is used for describing anything that is considered bad or incomplete".

R

RedMtl

Hi dear experts. Could you tell if the following sounds OK in English:

"Consequently, they have become critical and ironical of themselves, which in turn has given rise to nihilism – the Bulgarians blame themselves, other people, the government and everything labeled Bulgarian. The Bulgarian phrase “That’s a Bulgarian job” is used for describing anything that is considered bad or incomplete".

It sounds fine -- at least, without further context.

I might use " . . . anything considered bad or . . . " leaving out "that is"; but it's a matter of personal writing taste.

Hope this helps!
:up:

snade17

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Thank you very much RedMtl. You were most helpful.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
My personal taste: I'd leave it in. It fits the formality of the tone of the passage. Leaving it out is more as in colloquial speech.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know whether this is a Canadian thing, but in Br English it's unusual (if not wrong - I'd need to check more widely before suggesting anything so extreme ;-)) to say 'ironical of' - it would need some periphrasis like 'they take an ironical attitude to themselves'/'their self-image is ironical'/'they regard themselves with irony'. I agree that the rest seems fine though. :up:

b

Status
Not open for further replies.