Double negative

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Dear Teacher,

I have this to ask you:-What does this phrase means “every vote not disallowed at the meeting"

I don't understand in one phrase or one sentence containing two negative words, how can it be translated whether it means positively ("allowed" -in this case) or it means negatively ("not allowed" -in this casr), please.

Thankyou and best regards,
Piak

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This would mean that every vote that was valid, that had not been disallowed, Without more context, I can't say what they did with the votes.;-)

Piak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Dear Twostep and tdol,

I have found the full context thereof, it says as follows - "No objection shall be raised to the qualification of any voter except at the meeting or adjourned meeting at which the vote objected to is tendered, and every vote not adisllowed at the meeting shall be valid. Any objection made in due time shall be referred to the chairman whose decision shall be final and conclusive."

Thank you.
Piak

twostep

Every vote counts unless it has been disqualified by reasons set in the bylaws, i.e. not legal owner of shares, not owner of enough shares, proxy was delivered too late or altered. I see no double negative.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm with you on that. ;-)

Piak

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you so much. Twostep / tdol. That's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.