downward spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Anyone knows downward spiral? Pls explain or give me some samples of this concept of thinking or you know, some kinda downward spiral talk.

Thanks!!
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A downward spiral is when things get worse and worse. As thinking it would be sinking into depression- a drinker worries about the money they spend on drink, gets depressed and drink, then feels guilty and poor and drunk, etc. ;-)
 

beeja

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
tdol said:
A downward spiral is when things get worse and worse. As thinking it would be sinking into depression- a drinker worries about the money they spend on drink, gets depressed and drink, then feels guilty and poor and drunk, etc. ;-)

Is it a kind of depressive? you know, like thinking only that the worse and worse thing's gonna happen, like a pessimist.

:?
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
beeja said:
Anyone knows downward spiral? Pls explain or give me some samples of this concept of thinking or you know, some kinda downward spiral talk.

Thanks!!

Think about an airplane going around in circles and descending to earth at the same time.
 

henry

Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2004
MikeNewYork said:
beeja said:
Anyone knows downward spiral? Pls explain or give me some samples of this concept of thinking or you know, some kinda downward spiral talk.

Thanks!!

Think about an airplane going around in circles and descending to earth at the same time.

Wow, I am hugely fasinated by your sentence.

8)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
henry said:
MikeNewYork said:
beeja said:
Anyone knows downward spiral? Pls explain or give me some samples of this concept of thinking or you know, some kinda downward spiral talk.

Thanks!!

Think about an airplane going around in circles and descending to earth at the same time.

Wow, I am hugely fasinated by your sentence.

8)

Thank you, lad! :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beeuurkes said:
Is downward spiral equivalent to "snowball" effect :?:

If you are talking about a snowball rolling down a mountain, the two are a bit different. The snowball metaphor implies that the snowball gets bigger and bigger as it rolls down the mountain.
 

Beeuurkes

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
But if the snowball gets bigger and bigger, could this mean that the problem is getting worse and worse ???
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beeuurkes said:
But if the snowball gets bigger and bigger, could this mean that the problem is getting worse and worse ???

Yes, but also bigger and bigger -- spreading. Problems can snowball and they can cause downward spirals, but the problems don't spiral downward.

A business division that is in a downward spiral is getting worse and worse, but it is not getting bigger and bigger.

An investigation can snowball, because it starts to get bigger and bigger and it affects more and more people.

Is that any clearer? :wink:
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beeuurkes said:
MikeNewYork said:
Is that any clearer?

Yes, Mike. Now, I can see the difference between these two expressions. Thank you a lot. :wink:

You're welcome. :wink:
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
MikeNewYork said:
Yes, but also bigger and bigger -- spreading. Problems can snowball and they can cause downward spirals, but the problems don't spiral downward.

They surely can, or do you disagree? EG: On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is a completely handleable problem, and 1 is totally unmanageable) my problems spiralled downwards. I'm not suggesting that this would be a natural way of saying it, but that I can imagine a situation where it might be used. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Red5 said:
MikeNewYork said:
Yes, but also bigger and bigger -- spreading. Problems can snowball and they can cause downward spirals, but the problems don't spiral downward.

They surely can, or do you disagree? EG: On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is a completely handleable problem, and 1 is totally unmanageable) my problems spiralled downwards. I'm not suggesting that this would be a natural way of saying it, but that I can imagine a situation where it might be used. ;-)

I really don't think that works very well. Problems can certainly get worse, but I wouldn't term that a downward spiral. For example, recession is a problem that affects the economy. If recession were in a downward spiral, I would say that the economy would get better. Howevere, when recession gets worse, it can cause a downward spiral in the economy. :wink:
 

Beeuurkes

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2004
So. If I try to resume ...

A downward spiral could be like a vicious circle, where problems are breeding some other problems so that the situation is becoming more and more critical (big crash at the end).

A snowball would be the accumulation of problems (not especially related) leading to a situation less and less manageable (not especially a crash at the end).

What do you think ?
scheel002.gif
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Beeuurkes said:
So. If I try to resume ...

A downward spiral could be like a vicious circle, where problems are breeding some other problems so that the situation is becoming more and more critical (big crash at the end).

A snowball would be the accumulation of problems (not especially related) leading to a situation less and less manageable (not especially a crash at the end).

What do you think ?
scheel002.gif

That's pretty good, but I wouldn't use "snowball" for individual, unrelated problems. :wink:
 

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Problems can also spiral out of control. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Red5 said:
Problems can also spiral out of control. ;-)

Excellent. That's very true. :D
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top