"drinks cans"..... is this possible to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingles_4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello:)

In my English textbook I am studying, there is an article about recycling. It says:

We can recycle everything that we make from aluminium. In the UK we sell 5 billion aluminium drinks cans every year. They are easy and cheap to recycle. So remember to always recycle your drinks cans.

Shouldn´t it say - 5 billion aluminium drink cans and..... always recycle your drink cans?

At first, I thought it must have been a print error, but when I saw it written again in the same paragraph, I thought then that this must be ok?

Thanks in advance
Carlos

GaryEM

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Soda , soft drink and even brand names are acceptable for carbonated drinks. It's a regional preference in the USA. Drinks cans is an acceptable phrase in the UK. You should know, it's the same meaning as soda cans , beveradge cans, and aluminum cans.
Here is a good example.
Wikipedia - beverage can

Ingles_4u

Member Type
Student or Learner
Soda , soft drink and even brand names are acceptable for carbonated drinks. It's a regional preference in the USA. Drinks cans is an acceptable phrase in the UK. You should know, it's the same meaning as soda cans , beveradge cans, and aluminum cans.
Here is a good example.
Wikipedia - beverage can
Hi GaryEM,

Not sure if I understood what you wrote. What I wanted to know was whether it was possible to use the plural on both drinks and cans, as it sounds a little odd when spoken

GaryEM

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Using plural on both is not what the UK speakers are doing. They are using plural on drinks, because it indicates a variety of drinks. This is the same as a variety of different fish species is called fishes.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Hello:)

In my English textbook I am studying, there is an article about recycling. It says:

We can recycle everything that we make from aluminium. In the UK we sell 5 billion aluminium drinks cans every year. They are easy and cheap to recycle. So remember to always recycle your drinks cans.

Shouldn´t it say - 5 billion aluminium drink cans and..... always recycle your drink cans?

At first, I thought it must have been a print error, but when I saw it written again in the same paragraph, I thought then that this must be ok?

Thanks in advance
Carlos

It is indicating that the cans are generically used to contain drinks [unspecified in type but which can be of many different kinds]. It is the term used by the can-making industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.