Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does it have the meaning of "product"? When I was using a cellphone in Canada, they used to say "monthly plan", which means your payment setting. It also seems to mean a kind of product, but I'm not sure what the following means, which I can't find even in a dictionary.

mo27)Each insurance plan is different when it comes to what’s covered and what’s not. Figuring out which one is right for you is a bit of a balancing act: You want to get the most benefits at the least cost. Start by looking at all the elements of the plan and not just the price tag. For example, a plan with a low monthly premium isn’t necessarily the cheapest. Your hospital bill might be very high or you might pay much more fo

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it have the meaning of "product"? When I was using a cellphone in Canada, they used to say "monthly plan", which means your payment setting. It also seems to mean a kind of product, but I'm not sure what the following means, which I can't find even in a dictionary.

mo27)Each insurance plan is different when it comes to what’s covered and what’s not. Figuring out which one is right for you is a bit of a balancing act: You want to get the most benefits at the least cost. Start by looking at all the elements of the plan and not just the price tag. For example, a plan with a low monthly premium isn’t necessarily the cheapest. Your hospital bill might be very high or you might pay much more fo
The "plan" discussed here concerns a non-tangible purchase; the purchase of insurance. The "plan" is concerned with: the cost of the plan to the buyer, the projected payoff to the buyer, what the insurance will cover and what it will not cover. Plan A may include coverage for all medical problems while Plan B may only cover medical conditions which are life-threatening.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We speak of insurance "plans." That is what insurance companies sell.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, they generally sell "insurance policies". However, the word "plan" is being used more frequently for things like "The [name of company] Over 50 Plan" where people put money into the plan each month in order to pay for their funeral when they die. Any money left over after paying for the funeral goes to the family. These plans are entirely optional.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In BrE, they generally sell "insurance policies". However, the word "plan" is being used more frequently for things like "The [name of company] Over 50 Plan" where people put money into the plan each month in order to pay for their funeral when they die. Any money left over after paying for the funeral goes to the family. These plans are entirely optional.

Good point. Health insurance is a plan. Life insurance or car insurance is a policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.