each

Status
Not open for further replies.

navi tasan

Key Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1-"At one point in time, I have been in love with each one of them."

Could I have ever been in love with two (or more) of them at the same time?

2-"At one point in time, I was in love with every one of them."

What are the possibilitie here?
a-one at a time
b-all at the same time
c-maybe more that one at a time, but not necessarily all
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
navi tasan said:
1-"At one point in time, I have been in love with each one of them."

Could I have ever been in love with two (or more) of them at the same time?

Yes, definitely. It is definitely possible for "you" to have been in love with two or more of them at one time. :)

(More natural would be At one time or another.)

navi tasan said:
2-"At one point in time, I was in love with every one of them."

What are the possibilities here?
a-one at a time
b-all at the same time
c-maybe more that one at a time, but not necessarily all

The second one (b) is the most likely possibility. That is because every one of them means all of them or all of them at the same time.

:)
 

navi tasan

Key Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thanks RonBee.
So 2 could mean either a, b or c, but b is the most likely meaning?
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "At one time I was in love with every one of them" can really only mean the person was in love with all of them at the same time.

(Sorry for any confusion.)

:)
 

navi tasan

Key Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Actually, I was the one who created the confusion. My original sentences were bad, I think. Once I used the present perfect tense, then I used the simple past. And I should have used "at one time or another" (you were right about this).
1-At one point or another, I fell in love with every one of them.
2-At one point or another, I fell in love with each one of them.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
navi tasan said:
Actually, I was the one who created the confusion. My original sentences were bad, I think. Once I used the present perfect tense, then I used the simple past. And I should have used "at one time or another" (you were right about this).
1-At one point or another, I fell in love with every one of them.
2-At one point or another, I fell in love with each one of them.

The way those sentences are phrased they really mean the same thing. In other words, the speaker was in love with all of "them" at some time, but it wasn't necessarily the same time. The important thing is that he experienced that feeling for all of them whenever it was.

:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top