Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
I posted the question yesterday at midnight but can't find it this morning. I am posting it again. The following sentence is from a passage:

So they leave it to the advertiser to find eleven ways of makin git appal to purchasers after they have finished it.

Why 'eleven ways'? Is it a number chosen at random or there is a reason behind it, say idiomatic usage?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
I posted the question yesterday at midnight but can't find it this morning. I am posting it again. The following sentence is from a passage:

So they leave it to the advertiser to find eleven ways of makin git appal to purchasers after they have finished it.

Why 'eleven ways'? Is it a number chosen at random or there is a reason behind it, say idiomatic usage?

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

That number has no special significance. It sounds as if it was chosen at random -- small enough to be practical but large enough to highlight the silliness of the idea. :wink:

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:)
Thank you very much for your explanation.

Have a nice weekend!

Jiang

jiang said:
Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice weekend.

Jiang

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
:)
Thank you very much for your explanation.

Have a nice weekend!

Jiang

You're welcome, Jiang. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.