English intonation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Dear teacher,

In the sentence It's interesting if people lay stress on the word people and use falling intonation it can suggest three meanings: 1. sacastic. 2. A polite way to say I don't agree with you. 3. To help the speaker to get out of an akward situation. In the first case the intonation has a lexical function. What about the rest two? Are they semantic functions or lexical functions? To me they are semantic functions? Am I right? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
  • It's interesting if people lay stress on the word people and use falling intonation.

Is that the sentence?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Jiang said:
Dear teacher,

In the sentence "It's interesting", if people lay stress on the word interesting and use falling intonation it can suggest three meanings: 1. sarcastic. 2. A polite way to say I don't agree with you. 3. To help the speaker to get out of an akward situation.
In the first case the intonation has a lexical function. What about the other two? Do they have a semantic functions or lexical functions? To me they have a semantic function? Am I right? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

It's [pause] interesting, with falling intonation on the word 'interesting' expresses the following: 1. sarcasm, 2. disagreement, 3. I really don't care to think about it.)

:D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would say that they are semantic rather than lexical. The functions they perform don't really strike me as lexical. It could also be argued that the sarcasm is semantic. ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
I would say that they are semantic rather than lexical. The functions they perform don't really strike me as lexical. It could also be argued that the sarcasm is semantic. ;-)

Agreed. If it were lexical, then interesting would have three separate lexical entries, as in the stress different between a noun and verb that share the same form (an example fails me at the mo'). Intonation is supra-linguistic: above the lexicon. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Import\record

Even here the stress is semantic, imho,- it changes grammatical form.
HTH ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Import\record

Even here the stress is semantic, imho,- it changes grammatical form.
HTH ;-)

import and record don't share the same form, shape.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks and further explanation

RonBee said:
  • It's interesting if people lay stress on the word people and use falling intonation.

Is that the sentence?

Thank you very much for your reply. The sentence should be:

In the sentence 'It's interesting' if people lay stress on the word interesting and use falling intonation it can suggest three meanings....

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Thanks and further explanation

jiang said:
RonBee said:

Is that the sentence?

Thank you very much for your reply. The sentence should be:

In the sentence 'It's interesting' if people lay stress on the word interesting and use falling intonation it can suggest three meanings....

Thank you. Cas's interpretation was the correct one then.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
tdol said:

What does your last sentence mean? Does it mean you think even when it is sarcastic it should be semantic rather than lexical?

Status
Not open for further replies.