English name Sparky

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I was asked by an ex radio officer who is my old friend that he wanted to name his son ‘Sparky’ because the teachers of his son wanted him to have an English name.

And my friend asked me whether it was spelled as ‘Sparky’ or ‘Sparkey’
I scratch my head for I have never heard someone who is called Sparky and only know that ‘Sparky’ is a lingo for ‘radio operator’ on board of ocean-going vessels.

I’d like to know how come they get ‘Sparky’ for radio operator.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Re: English name – Sparky

Anonymous said:
I was asked by an ex radio officer who is my old friend that he wanted to name his son ‘Sparky’ because the teachers of his son wanted him to have an English name.

I scratch my head for I have never heard someone who is called Sparky and only know that ‘Sparky’ is a lingo for ‘radio operator’ on board of ocean-going vessels.

The nickname 'Sparky' comes from the word spark gap, an early transmitter design which used electrical sparks to generate radio frequency oscillations. The radio would emit sparks of electricity.

Aside from radio operators and electricians, "Sparky" is a popular nickname for people/animals who are lively and full of energy.

All the best,

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A 'sparky idea' is one that is imaginative, lively and creatiive.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anonymous said:

In my opinion, Sparky makes a better nickname than a given name. It will work fine when the boy is a child, but it might not be taken seriously in his adult life.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
MikeNewYork said:
In my opinion, Sparky makes a better nickname than a given name. It will work fine when the boy is a child, but it might not be taken seriously in his adult life.

John "Sparky" Kerry for Prez :)

H

Hong Kong Chinese

Casiopea, tdol, MikeNewyork, Thank you!
This thread was started by me.

It is very interesting to read the origin of ‘sparky’ by Casiopea. At first I guessed that in the old days transmitters used tubes to function and the salty air at sea is very moist, as a result when radio operator sending Morse Code, sparks were seen.

I have ridiculed my old friend that if he named his son sparky, your son would follow his foot-step. However he disliked the job as seaman very much.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Casiopea said:
MikeNewYork said:

John "Sparky" Kerry for Prez :)

That's bad enough (and a bit of an oxymoron). Now, suppose that there was no "John". Vote for Sparky -- the serious candidate. :roll:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hong Kong Chinese said:
Casiopea, tdol, MikeNewyork, Thank you!
This thread was started by me.

It is very interesting to read the origin of ‘sparky’ by Casiopea. At first I guessed that in the old days transmitters used tubes to function and the salty air at sea is very moist, as a result when radio operator sending Morse Code, sparks were seen.

I have ridiculed my old friend that if he named his son sparky, your son would follow his foot-step. However he disliked the job as seaman very much.

I have a colleague who named his son "Zigmont". I feel very bad for the child. Frank Zappa, a rock singer, named his two children Moon Unit (girl) and Dweezil (boy). Yeech! :lol:

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But Frank Zappa was great! ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
MikeNewYork said:
I have a colleague who named his son "Zigmont". I feel very bad for the child. Frank Zappa, a rock singer, named his two children Moon Unit (girl) and Dweezil (boy). Yeech! :lol:

Here are the names of three people I know personally:

Harry Hoal, Iona Hoover, and Stewart Standing-on-the-Road

:shock:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hong Kong Chinese said:
I think ridiculed is a little too strong a word here. Try:
  • I have teased my old friend that if he named his son Sparky that his son would follow in his footsteps. However, he disliked his job as seaman very much.

:)

H

Hong Kong Chinese

Good morning Sir RonBee

Sir RonBee, many thanks!

What does it mean to follow in somebody's footsteps?

Link:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?
key=30149&dict=CALD

However, he disliked his job as seaman very much.

I think it would be better to use present tense in this sentence as he still dislikes his job as seaman although he has sought a shore job a long time ago.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Good morning Sir RonBee

Hong Kong Chinese said:
Sir RonBee, many thanks!

What does it mean to follow in somebody's footsteps?

Link:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?
key=30149&dict=CALD

However, he disliked his job as seaman very much.

I think it would be better to use present tense in this sentence as he still dislikes his job as seaman although he has sought a shore job a long time ago.

I agree. If he is still working at the job then present tense would be better. (You don't need to use the past perfect in that sentence.)

(Thanks for the link, but I wasn't asking a question. I was trying to get people involved in our discussion (English Idioms and Sayings).)

I've never known anybody named Sparky, but Radar (a character in the MASH series) had a friend named Sparky. Sparky was never seen, but Radar talked to him on the radio.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Red5 said:
But Frank Zappa was great! ;-)

Especially live. Just to let you know, as I'm sure you didn't get the chance to see him in his glory. ;-) <smug> :lol:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Casiopea said:
MikeNewYork said:

Here are the names of three people I know personally:

Harry Hoal, Iona Hoover, and Stewart Standing-on-the-Road

:shock:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.