english tenichnical terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

what techinical term would you give to two opposing ideas or words in a sentence e.g fearful and reassuring

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
husna said:
what techinical term would you give to two opposing ideas or words in a sentence e.g fearful and reassuring

I don't know a technical term for that.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Contrast is as close as I can come.

:)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
husna said:

Antithesis? ;-)

A

Android

husna said:
that is alliteration - when 2 opposite words are in the same sentence, e.g. 'As Hell's from Heaven'.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
husna said:

Antithesis? ;-)

That looks like it to me.

:D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Android said:
husna said:
that is alliteration - when 2 opposite words are in the same sentence, e.g. 'As Hell's from Heaven'.

I have some examples of alliteration in some of my more recent rhymes. Go to: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1579

(Note that "more recent rhymes" is itself an example of alliteration.)

Dianelys

Android said:
husna said:

Whereas ‘Hell’ and ‘Heaven’ may be regarded as an example of alliteration*, antinomy and antonymy, ‘fearful’ and ‘reassuring’ are just ‘loosely contrasted words’.
* alliteration (Latin: ad + littera = letter), called also head rhyme or initial rhyme, is a figure of speech.
‘contrast’, ‘counter-term’, ‘antithesis’, ‘antonym’, etc., are terms that express the relationship of oppositeness in meaning between words.

Dianelys

husna said:

I wouldn’t use the term ‘antonym’ for these two words, because they are not in a relationship of ‘true’ antonymy, (the exact opposite of ‘fearful’ is ‘fearless’.) Although the relationship between ‘fearless’ and 'reassuring' is not directly contradictory, they belong to opposite categories. In this case, I would use ‘loosely contrasted words’.

Status
Not open for further replies.