enlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

T

Guest
>>According to the explaination of a online dictionary...
I found enlist means "to enroll somebody in a branch of the armed forces, or join the armed forces"
So I can express :
>>"The army will enlist yong man when they are 20 years old in Korea, and that's why my Korean mack went back last year."
>>"enlist men in/for the army"

but later I read one like this:
"According to the law, a young man should enlist when he is 18."
Here is my question --> :? should enlist or 'should be enlisted'
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
T said:
>>According to the explaination of a online dictionary...
I found enlist means "to enroll somebody in a branch of the armed forces, or join the armed forces"
So I can express :
>>"The army will enlist yong man when they are 20 years old in Korea, and that's why my Korean mack went back last year."
>>"enlist men in/for the army"

but later I read one like this:
"According to the law, a young man should enlist when he is 18."
Here is my question --> :? should enlist or 'should be enlisted'

It is a bit confusing.

The transitive use of "enlist" means to enroll individuals in the military. The intransitive use of "enlist" means to join the military. That would usually be "enlist in".

Most transitive verbs can be changed to the passive voice, but I haven't seen "should be enlisted". We tend to consider "enlist" to be an active decision rather than something that happens to someone. This would tend to rule out the passive voice.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use 'should enlist' as the law imposes the burden on the young man not the armed forces. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
I'd use 'should enlist' as the law imposes the burden on the young man not the armed forces. ;-)

When the law imposes a burden, we use the term "draft". :wink:
 
T

T

Guest
>>thanks !!!

>>So I could use "be drafted in the army" as a passive voice...
:eek: :eek:
EG: My friend told me that Zhong Yun was drafted in the army,I knew all those yong korean ppl should enlist according to the law...

>>And I got the usages of the word enlist as a transitive verb && intransitive verb...

Thanks
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Be drafted' is used in the passive, as is 'be\get called up'. ;-)
 

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: >>thanks !!!

T said:
>>So I could use "be drafted in the army" as a passive voice...
:eek: :eek:
EG: My friend told me that Zhong Yun was drafted in the army,I knew all those yong korean ppl should enlist according to the law...

>>And I got the usages of the word enlist as a transitive verb && intransitive verb...

Thanks

Yes, "be drafted" is far more common than "be enlisted". Usually "drafted into" or "drafted by". :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top