establishes necessary and sufficient conditions for the occurrence of vapor-liquid

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"Thermodynamics establishes necessary and sufficient conditions for the occurrence of vapor-liquid, liquid-liquid, and solid-fluid equilibria".

Would you please explain the part "establishes necessary and sufficient conditions for the occurance of ..." I especially do not understand establishment of conditions and conditions for occurance of something here they are is equlibria states.

https://books.google.com.tr/books?i...d-liquid, and solid-fluid equilibria;&f=false

Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To contrast, something could be necessary, but not sufficient to cause something. For example, a compressed fuel-air mixture is necessary for combustion in your gasoline engine. But it is not sufficient. You also need a spark.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you for the answers but would you explain the part "conditions for occurance of ..."

This phrase is somehow puzzling for me.

Thank you.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What are the "conditions for the occurrence of" a fire? Something that is flammable and a match ---- or another source of ignition.

Conditions for the occurance=conditions required for somehthing to happen or to form or to create?

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
hhtt21, you keep misspelling 'occurrence',

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Necessary conditions for the occurrence of something means that the something cannot happen unless these conditions are fulfilled.

Sufficient conditions ... means that the something will always occur whenever you these conditions are fulfilled.