everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
Which of these sentences is correct:
1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.
2-Everybody could have commited the murder.
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
2's fine. I'd say 'anybody'in the first. ;-)
 

navi tasan

Key Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I thought it was the other way around!
Anybody could have committed the murder. We don't know who did.
Everybody could have committed the murder. We don't know who did.
Anybody can do that. (Come to think of it. This one is definitely correct.)
Everybody can do that. (Is this one wrong?)
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
navi said:
Which of these sentences is correct:
1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.
2-Everybody could have commited the murder.

Both are correct. Context is missing. If you mean to say that only one person can do it or could have done it, then use 'anybody'.

'everybody' means, all bodies, every person in the group.
'anybody' means, one body, one person in the group.

:D
 

navi tasan

Key Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2002
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
By 2 I mean to say everybody is a suspect.
By 1 I mean to say that any single person, no matter who they are, can do that.
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
navi tasan said:
By 2 I mean to say everybody is a suspect.

2-Everybody could have commited the murder.

By 1 I mean to say that any single person, no matter who they are, can do that.

1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.

Let's look at sentence 2:

2a- Everyone (in this room) could have committed the murder. (All of you could have poisoned the victim.)

2b. Anyone (in this room) could have committed the murder. (One of you could have poisoned the victim.

Let's look a sentence 1:

1a- What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody(i.e. all of us) can do that.

1b- What he does for a living isn't difficult. Anybody (i.e. any one of us) can do that.

:D
 

shane

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Cas, that was such a good explanation, it was worth reading twice. ;)
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Casiopea said:
navi said:
Which of these sentences is correct:
1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.
2-Everybody could have commited the murder.

Both are correct. Context is missing. If you mean to say that only one person can do it or could have done it, then use 'anybody'.

'everybody' means, all bodies, every person in the group.
'anybody' means, one body, one person in the group.

:D

That's why I suggested 'anybody'- a crime, like the one on the Orient Express, could have many perpetrators, but I assumed that his job would be carried out by a single person rather than a group. :oops:
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
tdol said:
Casiopea said:
navi said:
Which of these sentences is correct:
1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.
2-Everybody could have commited the murder.

Both are correct. Context is missing. If you mean to say that only one person can do it or could have done it, then use 'anybody'.

'everybody' means, all bodies, every person in the group.
'anybody' means, one body, one person in the group.

:D

That's why I suggested 'anybody'- a crime, like the one on the Orient Express, could have [one of] many perpetrators, but I assumed that his job would be carried out by a single person rather than a group. :oops:

You gave me the idea. :D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
navi said:
Which of these sentences is correct:
1-What he does for a living isn't difficult. Everybody can do that.
2-Everybody could have commited the murder.

The first one is okay. (You could replace Everybody with Anybody there.) I think you can use Everybody in the second one only if you mean all of us. Otherwise, use Anybody there. In both cases, Anybody would be more idiomatic.

:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top