Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:
Last month, Lynne Cheney said states should have the final say over the legal status of personal relationships, a comment that came just days before the Senate failed to back the ban.

=============================
What is "final say"? Does it mean "The right or power to influence or make a final decision"

If so, do you think if the usage that I used below is right?

Customer: According to the ad, your supermarket has to refund me for the flawed washing machine.

Saleswoman: No, our supermarket has the final say.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
I agree: power to make the final decision. :up:

By the way, defective washing machine sounds more natural than flawed washing machine.

With regards to the Saleswoman's words, 'final say' is fine (i.e., We have the final say); however, she's wrong about having the final say; that's a matter for the courts. :lol:

Other Examples

Son: I got an A on my final exam! I'm going camping this weekend.
Mother: The deal was that you had to get good marks on both your exams.
Son: But, Mom, it's an A!
Mother: I have final say in this, son. Let's see how you did on the other exam.

Sam: Did you get the job?
Pat: I don't know yet. My brother Tom is going to let me know today. (Phone Rings)
Pat: Tom! So, what's the final say? (i.e., the final decision)
Tom: You got the job!

All the best, :D

NewHope

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Casiopea said:
With regards to the Saleswoman's words, 'final say' is fine (i.e., We have the final say); however, she's wrong about having the final say; that's a matter for the courts. :lol:

:p :p :p You understood that as clear as crystal, right? But a salesperson used to pretend that they didnt' know this as if they were a fool. While defensing their benefits they became so clever!
:mad: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.