[Grammar] Find error in the sentence with explanation.

vineetrana

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. The boss had me on the carpet over my expenses claim.

2.The difficult part is learning the new computer codes after that it's all downhill.

3. The "Akbar Nama " is among the major historical texts in the indian past.

Last edited:

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please tell us what you think first. If this is homework, the forum's rules require you to hand it in to your teacher before asking for comments here.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the title is the task you were given for the homework, it has mistakes.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could take a look at capitalisation and punctuation.

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. The boss had me on the carpet over my expenses claim.:tick: ("Had me on the carpet" is not natural in American English but I think it's ok in the British variety.)

2.The difficult part is learning the new computer codes after that it's all downhill.:cross: (Missing punctuation)

3. The "Akbar Nama " is among the major historical texts in the indian past.:cross: (One word needs an initial capital letter. Even with that correction, the sentence doesn't make sense.)
See above.

Please don't edit messages after they've had replies. It makes the thread harder to follow.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is not homework. I am unable to find any errors.

Based on your sentence above, I think those questions are too difficult for you. Remember to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

If those questions aren't homework, where did you find them?
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

vineetrana

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
These are the questions from a competitive exam , we have to ignore any punctuation error. I know the sentence are not making any sense that is why i am asking for help
Thanks anyway

vineetrana

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
" Where did you find them ? "
my answer will affect your reply?
why does it matter anyway? If you don't know the answer then please don't bother reading my thread .
Thanks anyway

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
" Where did you find them ? "
my answer will affect your reply?
why does it matter anyway?If you don't know the answer then please don't bother reading my thread .
Thanks anyway

The source of the text matters because it would be useful in understanding the text better and giving a better reply.

You have not heeded the teachers' comments on writing proper English.

This is not a nice thing to say to the teachers:
If you don't know the answer then please don't bother reading my thread .

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
These are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] questions from a competitive exam. We have to ignore any punctuation errors. I know the sentences [STRIKE]are not making[/STRIKE] do not make any sense. That is why I am asking for help.
Thanks anyway.

"Where did you find them?"
How will my answer [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] affect your reply? Why does it matter anyway? If you don't know the answer, then please don't bother reading my thread.
Thanks anyway.

Again, note my corrections above. You must follow the rules of written English at all times.

We always ask you to tell us where you found questions or quotations. There are two reasons for this:
1) Copyright and respect issues. You must give credit to the person who wrote something if you didn't write it yourself.
2) If they are part of your homework, an assignment, an entrance exam or any other kind of competitive task, we will not help. It would be unfair on the other participants and, in the case of homework, gives your teacher an unrealistic view of your English.
So, as you can see, your answer to that question does affect our replies.

You said these were taken from a competitive exam. What was the exam for? What score did you get? Did you get to see your exam paper after it had been marked to see what you got right and wrong?

As ted pointed out "If you don't know the answer, then please don't bother reading my thread" is rude. No one suggested we don't know the answer. It is very rare for no one to know an answer to a question here. We are, however, far more likely to help learners who are polite and who show that they are taking our advice seriously.