Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. I enjoy visiting Americans in their homes and talking to them about their customs, which has proven to be extremely beneficial.
that ?

2. Before arriving at the airport, he had taken off his coat and throwed it over his shoulder, complaining of the heat.
threw ?

3. Conditions in the country has grown so severe that many refugees have risked death to escape.
have grown ?

4. A man who can win two elections uncontested is a man who's character is firmly established.
whose character ?

5. If anyone happens to call while I am out of the office, please have them leave a message for me.
him ?

6. With less than three inches of rain falling in a six-month period, the farmers found it necessary to irrigate the land.
fewer ?

7. The principle reason for the great amount of pollution is that government does not take the lead in passing strong legislation against it.
principal ?

8. The servant returned with a message for which I was not in the least preparing: my host would be unable to receive me because of his ill health.
prepared ?

9. It is necessary that a person drink several glasses of the water daily if he wishes to remain healthy.
water ?

10. The patient's doctor strongly urges that he has an operation on his back as soon as his general health improves.
had ?

Regarding 9 and 10, I think that just because they are in subjunctive mood, that's why ( a person drink ) with no s for drink is not wrong.

and for ' had ' used in 10 to fit it the subjunctive mood condition. Right ?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
whl626 said:
1. I enjoy visiting Americans in their homes and talking to them about their customs, which has proven to be extremely beneficial.
that ?

Regarding 9 and 10, I think that just because they are in subjunctive mood, that's why ( a person drink ) with no s for drink is not wrong.

and for ' had ' used in 10 to fit it the subjunctive mood condition. Right ?

Regarding #9 and 10
Some authors call it "present subjunctive"; others "mandative subjunctive". This "mandative subjunctive" has only one form, the base verb, so there is no concord between subject and finite verb in the 3rd person singular present. ( #10: have) :D

#1: I think 'which' is fine. As far as I know, comma is not allowed in front of a relative pronoun 'that'.

Cas?

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Cas doesn't notice a post once it has already been dealt with

Francois

I think the answer to the first one is "talk with them". They presumably know their culture better than the speaker. Tough one. Am I correct?

FRC

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
whl626 said:
Cas doesn't notice a post once it has already been dealt with

She knows we need her!

Cas! Cas! Let's not play-and-seek. I don't want to be a nasty ghost.

Hope that helps. 8)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
blacknomi said:
#1: I think 'which' is fine. As far as I know, comma is not allowed in front of a relative pronoun 'that'.
You're right- you could use 'that' if you changed it to a semicolon. However, 'that of' is seen after a comma sometimes. ;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
whl626 said:
that ?

Sorry. I was off-line for a few hours: there's a monster typhoon coming our way. :shock:

I agree with blacknomi, FRC, and tdol. 'which' is fine, and either 'speaking with them' or 'talking with them' sounds more natural to my ears. :wink:

Sorry about the previous post--the choices weren't underlined. Let's clear that up:

I enjoy visiting Americans in their homes and talking with them about their customs, which has proven to be extremely beneficial. (OK)

All the best, :D

whl626

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
But I think that ' talk to ' or ' talk with ' is fine. I also agree that ( which ' has ' proven ... ) is fine too as Cas put it since it refers to the previous sentence as a whole, that's why it needs only a singular verb ' has ' ) Agreed ?

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Casiopea said:
Sorry. I was off-line for a few hours: there's a monster typhoon coming our way. :shock:

Thanks, Cas. I'm sorry to hear that monster's approaching Japan. That one was supposed to hit us. :(

Be safe, we don't want to lose you. :D

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Francois said:
I think the answer to the first one is "talk with them". They presumably know their culture better than the speaker. Tough one. Am I correct?

FRC

Talking to sounds a bit like a lecture.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.